Friday, April 22, 2016

Personal Identity and Global Citizenship

   

            As our world has become so technically advanced, it has caused various countries, nations, and people to collide and/or converge with one another on such a greater scale then every before.  A global reality has emerged - global citizenship.  With the emergence of this new citizenship and all that it entails, it is the rightful duty of our global governments, educators, mentors, parents, and so forth, to take the responsibility to educate people, especially our youth, in understanding the importance of global citizenship.
According to Dr. Vanessa Andreotti, a professor at the University of Oulu, Finland, "As we face more complexity in society, more uncertainty, more diversity, and much more inequality; so global education serves to equip people to live together in the world, addressing different dimensions of globalizing societies that were probably not so much of a priority in the past" (Studio12TV, 2012).
          This much needed education, will give the global citizen the proper “tools” to connect, interact, communicate, and function effectively and harmoniously with other global citizens.  Understanding various cultural values, ideas, and beliefs, should not be reason for conflict and separation, but govern a curiosity and/or appreciation for the vast differences amongst the global citizens.  It should strengthen our societies, build strong relationships, and promote equality in every avenue of life, i.e. business, education, families, and communities.  It is in our differences where new and exciting realities can emerge.  The Maastricht Global Education Declaration (2002) states it quite nicely, “it is “education that opens people's eyes and minds to the realities of the globalised world and awakens them to bring about a world of greater justice, equity and human rights for all" (Studio12TV, 2012).
            As I have familiarized myself with the outcomes of global citizenship, I have come to realize I do have a good sense of global awareness. I can positively identify with each of these outcomes: Intergroup Empathy is defined as "a felt connection and concern for people outside one’s ingroup” (Reysen & Katzarska-Miller, 2013).  I am an empathetic person by nature. I naturally connect and identify with people and their emotions, problems, etc. This empathy is extended to whomever I come in contact with whether part of my “ingroup” or not; it does not matter. My concern for others has caused many to request my insight and counsel. Valuing Diversity is defined as “an interest in and appreciation for the diverse cultures of the world” (Reysen & Katzarska-Miller, 2013).  As far back as I can remember (4th grade maybe), I was fortunate to travel to various places throughout the country.  This caused me to be exposed to different cultures, people, ideas, beliefs, etc. at a young age.  I was curious and fascinated to learn about these differences; something new and exciting to see and learn. I am still that way today. Social Justice is defined as “attributes concerning human rights and equitable and fair treatment of all humans” (2013). I may not agree with the way some people conduct their lives or the type of lifestyle they choose to live; however, I do strongly believe that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and share equal human rights. Environmental Sustainability is the belief that “humans and nature are connected, combined with a felt obligation to protect the natural environment” (2013). Of all the global citizenship outcomes, I would have to say I least identify with this one. I am not saying I do not have some concerns regarding the health of our environment and/or Earth; however, my concerns for this particular outcome versus the others are not as strong. Intergroup Helping is defined as “aid to others outside one's group, and is enacted through behaviors such as donating to charity, volunteering locally…” (2013). Growing up in church and attending Catholic schools placed me in roles of volunteering my services for the greater good. I learn to be a “giver” and to help those in need. I have worked with the Salvation Army, food pantries, and I give financial assistance where needed (domestic and abroad).  Responsibility to Act is "an acceptance of a moral duty or obligation to act for the betterment of the world" (2013).  Not knowing the words to describe it, I have felt righteous indignation towards this world’s injustice. When I witness the inequalities and cruelty of this world, I feel as though I have to do something about it; an obligation or duty to set things right. I have a pull towards truth and integrity, ethics, morality, compliance, and so forth.  Even as I am writing this paper, I feel compelled to right all the wrongs of this world; if only I was capable of doing that.
Many would say I was sheltered while growing up. I guess to some degree that was true; however, my mother made it her business to expose us to as much of this world and its realities as possible.  My mother raised my brothers and me to be able to handle or deal with any given situation we may find ourselves in and to conduct ourselves accordingly to that given situation. She exposed us to the best education she could offer, and any extra curriculum activities to enhance our education and awareness. We regularly attended church to strengthen and build our faith in God. My environment consisted of a father and mother in the home along with my siblings (three brothers). I was my daddy's little girl, spoiled, but yet I understood what it meant to share and to give. My values have not changed, only tweaked for the better.  Growing up, I do not recall the terminology of global citizenship, although my environment as a young child, teenager, and young adult has shaped my mindset, beliefs, and values to qualify my global awareness. Also, traveling to various parts of the United States and Canada along with private education has truly influenced my view and understanding of global awareness. In retrospect, as an older and more mature adult, I can see how all my life experiences - jobs, career, people, family, and friends - have all played a vital role in shaping my identity in this global citizenship.  Looking back at my general education courses, such as psychology, has helped me to understand people and how they think; their values, traits, ideas, and beliefs. Geology helped me to understand the Earth's atmosphere and the topology of different regions of the world and how those different dynamics affect the people and their society within a region. Every general education course has contributed its portion to the development and understanding of my global awareness.
  


References
Pinterest. (2016, April 22). multicultural. Photo retrieved from Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/farleyj1144/multicultural/
Reysen, S., & Katzarska-Miller, I. (2013). A model of global citizenship: Antecedents and
OutcomesInternational Journal of Psychology48(5), 858-870. doi:10.1080/00207594.2012.
Studio12TV. (2012, January 3). Global education and global citizenship [Video file]. Retrieved





No comments:

Post a Comment